Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My Butterfly Story

One evening I was out working around the tomato plants in our back yard. I started walking back to the house when I noticed this fellow on the ground. 


I bent over to look at him and wondered why he was just sitting there and his why his wings were open. Usually you don't see a monarch with there wings open...at least I never have for a long period of time anyway. 

I went for my camera and when I came back he was still there.  I took some more pics. 


When I got down on the ground and sat still beside him it was then I realized he was shivering like he was cold. And he wasn't trying to fly. I got a small stick and tried to get him to perch on it. He grabbed onto it and I lifted it up but he fluttered back to the ground and still just sat there.....and then he would shiver again.  Then I realized his wing was hurt. 


There is a road that runs along our yard and I thought perhaps he had flew in front of a car. Now this is by no means a super highway, just a local road for families to get into there homes. Still in all, he was injured and I felt so bad for him. I didn't want to let him sit there in the yard so I tried to think where I could put him that perhaps he could rest and recover enough to fly away. 

So I got him on the stick again and into my hand. It was the funniest feeling to feel his little feet tickling the skin on my hand. 

So here I am trying to take pics with one hand and he's shivering so they are sort of fuzzy. 




He rested there for a bit and then I remembered my one flower pot out front of the house.  I put him on the flower and he moved around and got himself situated.  He seemed to be content there so I went about my business.  I checked on him later and he was still there.

When I left for work in the morning I checked again and he was still there, his wings wet with the dew because they were open. I didn't know how that would affect him but I left him alone and went to work.  

When I came home, I went to the pot and he was gone.  I checked around in the flowers to make sure that he hadn't died and dropped down but I could not find him anywhere........soooooo I'm hoping he got his strength back and apparently he was able to fly because he was gone.

It was an amazing experience for me to hold this beautiful monarch butterfly in my hand for a short time.

I almost forgot I wanted to add a pic that I just made this am.


Its creeping in...slow but sure.  The maples are turning and it won't be long till the other trees follow. 

29 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i hope he made it and wasn't plucked off by a bird - or perhaps that would be okay as it would be a quick death, too. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

I hope he made it! Lovely photos!

barbara l. hale said...

What a wonderful post! I haven't seen one Monarch this year. I keep hoping they will start hanging around here again one of these days. I hope yours got to feeling better and was able to carry on.

DeniseinVA said...

So beautiful, he made it :)

Jannibele said...

What a beautiful moment you have captured! Have lovely day and Thanks for your kind words on my blog:)

Ela said...

What a beautiful post ! I'm glad that you were able to save this beautiful butterfly !
Greetings

Linda W. said...

That's a great story. Glad to hear your butterfly seems to have healed and went on his way. Great photos!

Gert said...

What an experience... I hope he survived also!

Beautiful photos!

Gert

Blackberry Lane said...

Bless you for giving him a chance to recover. Butterflies are so beautiful.

Brian King said...

Beautiful photos regardless of what happened. I didn't see many monarchs this summer.

A Quiet Corner said...

When a butterfly lands on you, they say you are blessed by an Angel. In this case, you were it's angel!...:)JP

Karen said...

Beautiful photos. I hope he flew away!

Gunilla Bäck said...

Beautiful photos! I hope he made it.

Rivien said...

Hi Feli,
thak you ;-)
Your Butterfly poto a marvels!
An the forest are nice in ligt of harvest! ;-)
You understand me * lol
My english is not so good ;-)
Habe a nice week!
Hugs Britta

Stephanie said...

Beautiful images!

Primitive Stars said...

You are so sweet, very nice of you to help the beauty. Hope all, is well with the Monarch. Beautiful pictures.Blessings Francine.

Ida said...

That was a special experience for sure. I'm glad you didn't find it dead somewhere and hopefully it flew off to live out it's life in quiet beauty. - Gorgeous fall trees there.

bettyl-NZ said...

What a great experience. It's frustrating not knowing what to do with our little friends when they are hurt. I'm glad s/he left on her/his own steam.

Rose said...

Oh, I so hope he made it!

Beautiful creeping-in shot! It is creeping in here, too;-)

Tom said...

What great shots of the monarch! I wish I that the patience to photograph them. Tom The Backroads Traveller

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Happy to see you back Felicia, and with such a lovely butterfly tale. The markings really are exquisite aren't they. Looking forward to seeing your autumn shots.

Ileana said...

Wonderful pictures!I am sure he left!:)

Our photos said...

Very nice photos, Felicia!
Greetings...

Laloofah said...

Thank you for being so compassionate toward a fellow creature. I am optimistic that you saved this beautiful Monarch, giving him the chance to enjoy the last of summer's sunshine on his wings and pollinate the last of summer's flowers. You captured some beautiful photos to remember him by, thank you for sharing the story and pictures!

Laloofah said...

Thank you for being so compassionate toward a fellow creature. I am optimistic that you saved this beautiful Monarch, giving him the chance to enjoy the last of summer's sunshine on his wings and pollinate the last of summer's flowers. You captured some beautiful photos to remember him by, thank you for sharing the story and pictures!

Mascha said...

Amazing photos and a very touching story!
Yes, it's a special feeling to feel those little feet -
Long ago, we once fed exhausted butterfly with some honey-water...

Leovi said...

Pretty butterfly, I love how it is decorated! Beautiful photos!

pattisjarrett said...

I'm glad the butterfly story had a happy ending, and hope it is well on its way to Mexico. I wonder if it had emerged recently and hadn't gotten the fluid from its body into the wing yet. It wouldn't fly with dewy wet wings, only after they'd dried.

Anna-Karin Eriksson said...

I hope the butterfly recovered and flew away! Very good of you and amazing photos of him, what a great experience!

//Scaniatjejen
http://www.scaniatjejen.se