Fort Roberdeau ~ Part Three


 After leaving the barracks, our next destination is across the compound.

Before we get there this catches my eye. 

I meander over to take a look.

Ok, back in they 1700's there would not be electric poles in the field. Just imagine Indians in war paint galloping across the field on their ponies. 

Continuing on we come to our destination.

The ammunition pit.  This is where all the ammo was stored. It was roped off so you couldn't go in, but I would guess it was like a dirt cellar.

Next is the building where the miners kept their provisions. The ladder led to a loft upstairs where some may have slept.





 I first thought this was made to carry water, but after thinking about it, it could possibly have been to carry ore out of the mine and I don't think it was by donkey or mule either. This appears to be some sort of yoke a man would put around his neck and lay on his shoulders. I tried to research it but didn't find an answer.  I should have asked someone there but did not even think about it at the time. 





anyone for baking a cake?

 Grindstone outside blacksmith shop.

 The building was locked but they had tools of the trade outside. 

the bellows for keeping the fire in the fireplace HOT. 

Notice the flag.....it only has thirteen stars on it. 

A few random shots of the log walls.



Someone had asked why the logs were horizontal and not vertical as most forts were built.
There is too much limestone under the soil to be able to dig and set the logs vertical so they built it horizontal. 

So this ends our Fort Roberdeau tour. Hope I didn't overload you with too many pics today. I wanted to finish up the series. 

Linking with OUR WORLD TUESDAY
&
RUBBISH BY ROAN.

If you missed part one an two, click HERE for one and HERE for two. 

Comments

TexWisGirl said…
i really, really want fences/walls like these all around our property! :D
Tom said…
Neat place. I can imagine shooting my musket through the hole in the second photo. Tom The Backroads Traveller
totakeajourney said…
An interesting place to see, wonderful shots too.
Diana Petrillo said…
I love history and I love your photographs! So glad I dropped in :)
Daniel LaFrance said…
Thank you for sharing your story and photos.
Gert said…
How very interesting, I love these old Forts! Great photos!

Blessings,
Gert
colleen said…
Such low tech simpler times. Love the history here.
maryaustria said…
A great posting! Interesting place to visit! Your photos are gorgeous!
ladyfi said…
What lovely shots of this historical place!
Lovely photos! It sure was a hands-on kind of existence in those days where there were no instant cake packages. :)
Birgitta said…
I really like these pictures! Interesting and great shots!
Indrani said…
So much of history in the place. Nicely captured.
Arija said…
Interesting to see all the old accoutrements of mining but seeing that hole in the palisade and thinking of Indians on horseback outside makes me cringe since it was a shot hole for shooting the owners of the land. I find that a harrowing thought.
Annemor said…
Thanks for bringing me along.
I would think that the ammo was stored in a dirt callar.
Have a nice day.
Mormor
A fascinating place Felicia, thanks for the tour!
Wow - I love those horizontal log walls!

Looks like it is a fascinating place to tour.

Lindy
I really enjoyed this tour of the fort, Felicia - interesting to see all the tools they used and imagine living during that time. Love the log fence and buildings. :)
Marvelous photos of this special area and atmosphere. So beautiful !
Best regards,Synnöve
Thanks for the trip back to another time, seems like a nice place to visit!

//Scaniatjejen
http://www.scaniatjejen.se
Valerie said…
A wonderful series of shots - thank you for this step back in time.
Janey and Co. said…
I complain about trying to bake at high altitude...I am not sure I could bake in that open hearth either! Beautiful pictures..Janey
Imagebloke said…
I love these images. Fantastic. I was surfing the web when I came across these beautiful images. How lucky!
HOOTIN ANNI said…
Wow!!!! This is such a fantastic series of your visit. I would have LOVED walking through the grounds with you.
Debby Ray said…
What a fascinating place to visit! You have captured it well. Oh to be a fly on the wall in those days....
Stewart M said…
Interesting place to vist - even if it is filled with sadness.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
Breathtaking said…
Interesting post Felicia, and good photographs of the fort, and all the implements in use in those times.
Primitive Stars said…
Such a wonderful place, I love it all, inside and out. Great fencing, I want a fence like that.Thanks for sharing, Blessings Francine.
DeniseinVA said…
I would love to walk around this place. Great shots Felicia!
What an interesting post, Felicia! I would love to see the old Forts in person. You took great photos! Well done!

Hope you have a lovely week ahead.
Wonderful post! I love historical sites.
Carver said…
Great shots of an interesting place.
Al said…
What an amazing place, right out of history. Great shots!
Roan said…
Wow, my kind of fun! I'm afrait I would burn up more food than would be edible in that oven! Thanks for joining in!
Hazel Ceej said…
I soo enjoyed the virtual tour, did imagine Indians galloping... the yoke - that will be one strong man. The logs remind me of charming log cabins in kids' story books.