Red Admiral

I'm so excited to be sharing my first official butterfly image for this blog.  

I was at our local arboretum last Tuesday (8th) when I spied this beauty in the midst of a bunch of daisies.


When I first seen it, it was in this position.  I'm standing there talking to it telling it to open its wings.


I decided to move so that I was blocking the sun from hitting it. And when I did he opened his wings.  I got so excited that I was sure I was not even holding the camera steady.

I managed to snap about 4 pictures that were pretty decent but they all look like this one.  This one is cropped a bit so to see the butterfly closer. 

I googled it and believe it to be a Red Admiral. If I am wrong please tell me.  I hate to give wrong information.

Then Sunday I went to Susan my florist friend's garden and captured this image of another butterfly. It was much smaller and would NOT open his wings.

I don't know what kind this one is, perhaps someone can id it. 

I'm linking with OUTDOOR WEDNESDAY
and 
and 
This last meme is a small one so please visit if you are into macro and help it grow, and don't forget to visit the other 2 meme's for more great outdoor photo's. 

Comments

Blackberry Lane said…
Your photos are gorgeous. I love butterflies.
MitchyLR said…
Love your butterfly shots!! Good work!!
Holly Myers said…
Thanks for your comment at my blog (hymyers.blogspot.com) . I'll keep an eye on your blog being your a fellow Pennsylvanian! I'm always looking for places close to home to learn about! Love the closeup of the butterflies! This take patience!
Carver said…
Lovely shots of the butterflies on the flowers.
Connie Smiley said…
You're right about the Red Admiral, and those are beautiful photos!
pattisjarrett said…
You got a great shot of the Red Admiral. Butterflies are difficult to get to hold still for a photo. I believe your second butterfly to be a Banded Hairstreak. Another nice shot, too!
Rose said…
Yep, that is a red admiral, but not sure about the other one. I only know about 4 butterflies for sure...oh, and seen the Mourning Cloak one while in California back in April.

Great pictures! I love that last butterfly, too. Was it very big? Think it is one of the smaller ones, but wondering how wrong I am.
Beautiful pictures!! Love the butterfly. Your colors are so brilliant.

Jocelyn @ http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/
lorik said…
I like the combination of the orange and black butterfly and yellow flower.
Also, I noticed you have a pic of an old fj (?) holden on your banner. I was busy photographing an old abandoned in the country last week:)
Carole M. said…
BEAUTIFUL butterfly snapshots
Linda W. said…
Nice! That's great the butterfly posed for you. Wish I could get one to do that.
Rivien said…
Congratulation Felicia,
wonderfull close up's from the butterflys!
Hugs Riv
Gerald (SK14) said…
just started to see butterflys around here this last week.
Helga said…
Beautiful butterflys!!
Icy BC said…
Gorgeous shots! I love seeing butterflies on flowers!
orchid Miyako said…
Wow, how exciting it must have been that you shared your first FABULOUS shot of Red Admiral and the other one. Breathtaking photographs, Felicia♡♡♡

Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*
Luis Das said…
Klasse Fotos von den Schmetterlingen ! Der dritte ist wohl ein Segelfalter ?!
Schönen Gruß,
Luis
NatureFootstep said…
you are right about the Admiral. I have seen two of them so far this summer.
The other one I don´t know.
Rambling Woods said…
Great captures.. I don't know off the top of my head but you can check here to help ID a butterfly .. Michelle

http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Butterflies
Frank said…
Well done Felicia. Lovely shots of the Red Admiral. The other individual is obviously a Hairstreak but I'm unfamiliar with US variants.
Brian King said…
Nice job! These are gorgeous!
Glenda/MidSouth said…
Great shots! Not sure what is going on, but have rarely seen butterflies in my area the last few years.
Thanks for stopping by.
Charlene N.K. said…
Wow, amazing macro photos! I love those vibrant colors.
Gunilla Bäck said…
Gorgeous shots of this beauty!
Helma said…
Especially your last butterfly I find beautiful. This we have in the Netherlands, I think not.
Beautiful kleiren your pictures and very nice bright :-)
Greetings, Helma